Optional Family Project – Due at school Thursday, March 16th
If you’d like, you and your family may build a leprechaun trap to try to catch one. Remember, leprechauns are tricky creatures, so your traps will need to be clever. Use things you find around the house, such as: a shoebox, cereal box, etc. Leprechauns are attracted to the color green and love shiny things. Construction paper, glitter, and crayons or markers can also be used.
We will be setting up our traps in class, so please be sure to bring yours to school on March 16th. Everyone that builds a trap will have a few minutes to present it to the class and show how it works.
Use your imagination and have fun working with your family to create an original trap! I can’t wait to see the amazing ideas you come up with!
100th Day of School
All first and second grade students will be displaying their 100th day projects on Thursday, February 2nd. We all get to tour the other class rooms to see the projects they have made as well. Be sure to make a project with 100 items that you will be proud to show!
- Project is due Thursday morning, February 2, 2017 (it will be coming back home that afternoon)
- The project MUST fit on the student’s desk
- This can be a fun family project, but it should reflect the student’s own creativity and effort
Each first grade student will be making a winter forest. We will make them with ice cream sugar cones, frosting, and tiny decorations. If you could donate one or more of the following items, we’d really appreciate it!
Every student should bring in a can of white frosting.
Supplies the class will need:
- 48-72 sugar ice cream cones (with pointed ends)
- 1 bag each of jumbo, large,
- LOTS of mini M & M’s, mini candy canes, sprinkles, cinnamon dots, gumdrops and other little candies, or other small items that can be used to decorate. WinCo has wonderful things in their bulk bins, like candy stones for pebbles, trees, snowmen, etc.
Animals crackers (frosted or unfrosted)
- We will also need lots of parent helpers from 12:30-2:00
We will make our forests on Thursday, December 15, at 12:45. Please come and join in the fun while helping the children create their winter forest scene. Then, snuggle-up and read a few books together in class. There are many wonderful ones in my library.
Our first homework folders will be sent home on Tuesday, September 6th, the day after Labor Day. The folders, along with the completed homework packs, are due back at school on Friday morning.
The 2016-2017 school year is finally here! I’m looking forward to a fantastic year with a new group of little learners. We will have a great time reading, writing, working with numbers, and so much more. First grade is just the BEST!
Our annual HRPTC Tri-Tip Dinner & Auction
Welcomes a Spring Carnival this year!
Please join us on Saturday, April 23, 2016
Enjoy the Carnival from 4-7 PM
Tri-Tip BBQ will be served from 5PM to 7PM
Drive-Thru dinners may be picked up in the DAKOTA parking lot.
Opportunity Drawing will be open from 4-7
There will also be a Teacher Bake Sale to purchase treats to eat after dinner or to take home!
In this week’s homework folder there was a letter explaining the optional project of building a Leprechaun trap. Remember that the trap should come to school on Wednesday, March 16th, so that we can set them up before we go home. Anyone that catches a Leprechaun gets to keep it!
On Friday, January 22, each classroom will choose its own Dress-Up Spirit Day theme. Our class theme is “Favorite Book Character.” Think about some of the books that you love to read, and think about the characters in those books. Dress up like one of those characters! You could even bring along the book that your character stars in if you’d like!
December always proves to be a busy and fun-filled month. With Winter Break, it also seems to go by oh-so-quickly! Here are some of the things that we have planned:
- “Ugly Sweater Day” on Friday, December 11th
- PTC Holiday Movie Night: Home Alone, on Friday, December 11th @ 7:30 in the Gym (other fun begins at 6:30)
- Creating our Winter Forests on Thursday, December 17th @ 12:45 (parent help needed from 12:30-2:00)
- Minimum day on Friday, December 18th, with dismissal for the entire school at 12:50
- Winter Break from Saturday, December 19th through Sunday, January 3rd